Last Updated on
Acne during Pregnancy: Causes and Remedies
Acne is one of the common issues faced in pregnancy just like insomnia. I personally did not experience acne during pregnancy but many of my friends did. I have seen many women who have never had acne/pimples ever before experiencing it in pregnancy only. This is completely normal and nothing to worry much about.
While you are pregnant, your body is undergoing a lot of physical and hormonal changes. This flux in your hormones, particularly oestrogen and progesterone, causes a lot of changes in your skin. The skin gets excessively oily or dry, both of which can lead to acne. However, don’t worry as acne problems generally settle after childbirth.
What causes it?
There are many different factors that can cause acne during pregnancy on your skin. Knowing the causes can help you prevent and treat acne at home.
• First and the most common reason to have acne during pregnancy are the hormonal changes going inside your body.
• If you have a sensitive skin, the chances to get acne, especially in the first trimester, are even more.
• If your skin produces excess oil (sebum) due to hormonal changes, it may clog your pores and eventually cause blackheads, whiteheads, and acne.
• The amount of blood sugar circulating in the body also keeps on changing. This is another reason for acne and pimples during pregnancy.
• The excitement and nervousness about being a new mom also add-on to this problem. Some medications prescribed by your doctor can also aggravate this issue.
• Taking an unhealthy diet which involves a lot of sugar or oil can also lead to acne.
• A dehydrated body is always more prone to acne.
• Bad skin care habits and the lack of a proper skincare routine can also cause acne during pregnancy.
How can I Prevent Acne during Pregnancy?
Even if you are not facing acne issues, you must make sure to take various precautions. Prevention is better than cure and pregnancy is very unpredictable. You never know what may happen next. To avoid acne and maintain a flawless skin:
• Follow a good skincare regime consistently
• Drink plenty of water
• Do not sleep with makeup on
• Wash your face thrice a day, with a gentle cleanser
• Avoid using cloth towels or sharing them
• Switch to paper towels instead
• Always wash your face before going to bed
• Keep your skin moisturized
• Do not exfoliate too much or in a harsh way
• Avoid products with alcohol or parabens in them
Can You Really Treat Acne during Pregnancy?
It might be wrong to say that you can completely get rid of acne during pregnancy or treat them. After all, your body is undergoing hormonal changes. It is, thus, difficult to get rid of acne before the hormone balance is regained. This depends from pregnancy to pregnancy.
However, you can temporarily treat them by some safe over-the-counter medications, healthy eating habits or by using some home remedies. You can also apply topical acne ointments to reduce acne or inflammation.
Remember: Do not opt for any ointment or medications without consulting your gynaecologist. All medications are not safe during pregnancy (such as “Isotretinoin”) and may pose a risk of birth defects. Go for mild medications and home remedies after doing a proper research. Never self-medicate any issue during pregnancy.
Safe Home Remedies for Pregnancy Acne:
Internet and relatives – both are literally flooded with a lot of suggestions to overcome any health issue during pregnancy. A lot of home remedies for the same involve the use of apple cider vinegar or baking soda. However, these remedies are quite harsh for the skin and can even worsen the condition.
Hence, opt for very safe remedies like honey, coconut oil, cucumber etc. Here a few ways to use them:
Honey is a very safe remedy for pimples due to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It also contains antioxidants and helps reducing acne size. It can be applied in various ways but the quickest and easiest way is to apply it directly on the cleansed skin. Leave it on your skin for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse your face with warm water.
Purra Virgin Coconut Oil for Pregnant Women Coconut Oil can also help treat acne at home. It is an excellent moisturizer and helps in balancing the natural oil balance of the skin. You can apply it directly to the affected area at night and rinse with warm water the next day. Use organic and virgin coconut oil.
Cucumber is another great remedy for acne during pregnancy. Extract some fresh cucumber juice or simply blend it. Refrigerate it for around 20 minutes for a more cooling effect. Apply it directly on the affected area and wash off after 15-20 minutes.
There are a lot more safe home remedies to treat pregnancy acne. Whatever you are going for, make sure to do a patch test before going ahead. Some people are allergic to natural ingredients and prevention is always better than cure.