DIY Natural Syrup to Treat Cough in Babies and Toddlers
With young children, especially toddlers anytime can be cough time. Sometimes, cough can last for weeks and it can really be disturbing for you as a parent. So before you give heavy doses of cough syrups to your little one, why don’t you try your hands on these home-made ones at the early signs of cough? You can make them yourself—so, you can control the quality of ingredients. These homemade cough syrups are safe for your children and do not wreak havoc on their bodies.
Please note these are all home remedies which cannot replace a medical practitioner’s treatment. The home remedies should be used only at early signs to treat it quickly to avoid chemical treatment. If you don’t see the home made cough syrup positive effect on your baby or toddler then please consult your doctor.
Best 3 Homemade Cough Medicines Recipes
Honey-Ginger Cough Syrup
• ½ cup lemon juice
• ¼ cup of peeled, sliced ginger. You can also use ½ teaspoon of ground ginger.
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup honey
1. Add water, lemon juice and ginger in a saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to boil.
3. Let it simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
4. Strain the mixture in a cup.
5. Add honey to the strained warm mixture.
6. Stir the mixture till it becomes thick syrup.
7. Store it in an air-tight container.
8. Refrigerate the mixture. You can store this for up to two months.
• Age 1-5 years old: ½ to 1 teaspoon every two hours.
• Age 5-12 years old: 1 to 2 teaspoons every two hours.
• Age 12 years and older: 1 to 2 tablespoons every 4 hours.
Note: Honey is not recommended for children less than one year of age.
Yashtimadhu Honey Syrup
What is Yashtimadhu: In English it is called as Liquorice and also known as Mulethi, Jethimadh, Jeshshtamadh. It is an ancient Ayurvedic herb popular in India and whole world. Yashtimadhu/ Liquorice provide numerous health benefits. It is good for eye health, improves skin complexion, improves immunity and works excellent on throat infections. It is also used to improve voice.
• 1 cup of water
• 2 teaspoons Poha (Uncooked Flattened rice flakes)
• 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
• 1-2 sugar candy (misri, crystallized sugar)
• 1 stick Yashtimadhu
1. Dry roast poha and cumin seeds in a non-stick pan.
2. Add water and bring the mixture to boil on low flame.
3. Add Yashtimadhu stick.
4. Add sugar candy.
5. Let the solution simmer until it reduces to the half.
6. Strain the solution in a cup.
7. Store it in air tight container.
In case you cannot find the Yeshtimashu stick, you can purchase it in powder form like this one.
• Age 1-5: ½ to 1 teaspoon 3-5 times a day
• Age 5-12: 1 to 2 teaspoons 3-5 times a day
• Age 12 and older: 1 to 2 tablespoons 3-5 times a day
Note: This is especially effective to cure dry cough.
Cough Syrup without Honey for Babies
For Babies below 1 year, honey is one of forbidden foods so for the little ones here is simple syrup for coughing
2 table spoons of grated or finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon of fresh or dried peppermint leaves
4 cups of water
– Bring water to boil
– Add the rest 2 solid ingredients, now on medium flame let the mixture boil for about 5-7 mins. The water thickens and comes down to half size.
– Stop the heating, let the syrup cool down and drain it. Keep it refrigerated for a week.
Dosage: 1 tea spoon 3 times a day
Honitus Syrup by Dabur
Do not have time to whip up your own syrups? Well, there is help at hand. For instance, there are syrups from popular brands like Honitus by Dabur is a safe, Ayurveda recipe that uses qualities of honey, ginger, and lemon. Honitus cures cold and cough fast without making a child sleep for long hours.
Though Honitus is completely safe for children, we recommend you consult your pediatrician before giving this to your child. I usually have Honeytus at home; it’s useful especially at night when you don’t want to make the home syrup at late night.
Tips for Soothing cough in babies and toddler
* Feed more fluids to your child. If baby is less than 6 months old and on exclusive breastfeeding then breast feeding is the only option anyway. For kids older than 6 months, give more warm water, avoid citric juices as they may make throat itchy.
* Try some steam: Steam will help moisturizing the dry throat Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to water.
* Chicken Soup: There is no special reason required for having chicken soup. The hot and tasty Chicken soup works wonder on most of health issues. Talking of cough remedy, Chicken soup contains cysteine which is a natural amino acid. It is a very powerful antioxidant that strengthens our immunity. It is effective in treating flu during winters.
Chicken Soup Recipe for Cough and Cold
Ingredients: Chicken with Bones 250gms, 5 cups of water, finely chopped garlic, butter, white pepper ans salt to taste
1. Take a table spoonful of butter in pressure cooker. (You may use sauce pan if you don’t have pressure cooker)
2. Add finely chopped garlic or crushed garlic and 2-3 whole white peppers, you may also add a bay leaf to enhance the taste. (Also if you like thick soup, you may add a table spoon of corn starch.)
3. Now add the chicken pieces, I prefer with bones, as chicken bones are healthy and we are going to strain the soup after cooking before serving.
4. Now add salt to taste, stir it well, let it cook without covering for 2-3 mins. Boil 4-5 cups of water in another pan. And add the hot water to chicken.
5. Lock the pressure cooker lid in place; let it cook for about 15 mins on low to medium flame. After 15 mins, stop the heating. Wait until the pressure cooker cools down.
6. Open the lid and let soup boil for about 2-3 mins uncovered, this last step will thicken the soup. Strain the soup and serve warm to your little one.
With these easy recipes, you can help your children combat cough without losing your night’s sleep. These homemade cough syrups are not only children but are also effective on adults too. So, why wait? Try any of these today. Find more details on homemade dry cough remedies here.