Last Updated on
Is it Safe to Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding: Tips, Pros, Cons and Amount
Green tea is undoubtedly a super-healthy health drink for everyone but is it also good for the small hearts, beating in a tiny body?
The breastfeeding or expectant mothers always have doubts about whether they should take the herbal teas or teas with caffeine. How much amount is fine to take? If your brain is also throwing such questions, this post is meant for you.
In the first section, we will talk about the green tea effect on breastfeeding mothers while in the last section, the pregnancy is talked about.
Can I Drink Green Tea If I Am Pregnant?
Green tea has a little less amount of caffeine than the regular tea. There is no official or medical prescription which says that you should completely stop taking green tea in the pregnancy. But it is good to limit the intake amount for the good health of baby you are carrying in your womb.
It is a health-friendly drink with many advantageous functions like recovering from cell damage, protecting against heart diseases, fighting against high blood pressure, maintaining a good immune system, and safeguarding from the type-2 Diabetes but when it comes to pregnancy, some drawbacks take over these advantages.
Adverse Effects of Green Tea for Expectant Mothers
Here are some side-effects that may cause due to high intake of green tea-
• Lack of folic acid may cause. Green tea prevents the absorption of folic acid in the human body which is considered necessary for the first-half period of pregnancy.
• If you are taking too much green tea at the time of conception, the baby may develop neural tube defects, like Spine Bifida.
• It toughens the iron absorption which is highly needed in a pregnant body.
Adequate Amount of Green Tea for Pregnant Women
For the excellent health of your arriving baby, the amount of caffeine ingestion should be limited to 200mg/day. If you are not drinking any other caffeine-containing drink, you can sip 3 to 4 cups with diluted contents per day. But considering other foods, I will recommend 2 light cups per day, taking one in the morning and another in the evening.
Let’s move to the breastfeeding portion –
How Good is Green Tea Ingestion While Breastfeeding
Lactation is the process of preparing milk from the food consumed by the mother so that little one can be fed well. The diet, you are taking, decides the goodness of breastfed milk. So, if you are drinking Green tea in order to reduce the weight put up during the pregnancy, hang on!
First, check how much tea is fine for your infant (cover later in this post) and then continue. Here are some main side effects which alarm breastfeeding mothers to limit the consumption –
Side Effects of Green Tea for Breastfeeding Mothers
• Sleep-related disorders like Insomnia, anxiety, and restlessness may form in the baby as caffeine may highly affect his/her small body.
• It increases the bleeding risk by strengthening the anticoagulants.
• Headache may come into effect.
• Reduction in milk supply.
• Prevents the iron absorption.
How Much Green Tea Can I Take While Breastfeeding
Exceeding 300mg of Caffeine consumption is harmful to the breastfed baby. Do not cross this limit in a day for baby’s good health.
Other Considerable facts
Here are some other facts which should be considered by both, the expectant and breastfeeding ladies while drinking the green tea –
• Take care of the other herbs while buying the packaged tea. It may contain some harmful contents too. If it has any such contents, strictly avoid it.
• Only buy the certified green tea products.
• If you have not taken any caffeine-containing content during pregnancy, completely avoid drinking green tea while breastfeeding too.
Found all the answers about considering green tea during pregnancy or breastfeeding? If not, feel free to leave your queries in the comment box!
Learn alternatives to caffeine during pregnancy and breastfeeding in this article.