Last Updated on
Disposable Diapers Vs Indian Cloth Diapers
Like almost all parenting decision one of the major point of debate is whether to use cloth diapers or disposable diapers. You can always choose the one which suits you and your baby. You can keep using that type of diaper which suits your lifestyle. Most common way of our Indian household manage is by using cloth diapers at home and disposable diapers when you are out.
Pros and Cons of Cloth Diapers:
1. One of the major pros of using a cloth diaper is that they are cost effective and you don’t have to go to store every time to buy a new one. You can have a set of 10-20 and re-use it as and when required.
2. It not only saves money but it is a convenient choice when you know that it is not a poop or pee time of your baby.
It also helps to keep your baby’s skin dry but also helps in to avoid rashes.
3. It is extremely environment friendly as it doesn’t have any gels or any other material except cloth which is biodegradable.
4. It doesn’t increase carbon footprint due to transport cost involved as it is easily available in local store you don’t have to order it from far away, most of times they are homemade.
1. Cloth diapers can be very messy at times if you are not attentive. There are some diapers with disposable liners which are easy to clean but very tiring to change.
2. There also called all-in-one cloth diapers available but they are very expensive.
3. Requires lot of cleaning to re-use a cloth diaper which wastes lots of detergent and water.
Cleaning and maintaining adds up to your daily routine of tiresome work.
4. It is a bad choice to use a cloth diaper if you are travelling not only it will be messy, also you will have to carry the smelly diapers back to home.
Pros and Cons of Disposable Diapers:
1. The reason why disposable diapers are preferred over cloth diapers is that it absorbs large amount of liquid and can be kept on the baby for long time.
2. Very hygienic as it keeps your baby dry, which helps your baby in sleep.
3. Diapers are designed in a way that keep the liquid or wetness away from the baby’s skin, providing maximum comfort to your baby.
4. Many diapers are made from breathable fabric which helps your baby’s skin to be dry and avoids rashes.
5. It is provides lots of convenience while travelling as you don’t have to worry about leakages or frequent changes.
6. Saves lots of time as you will be changing few diapers in a day as disposable diapers absorb a lot.
7. You wont need to carry the dirty used diaper along with you in case of cloth diaper. You can easily dispose it off in garbage without have to worry about cleaning.
1. The repeated cost involved in purchasing disposable diapers is quite high and it is not budget friendly.
2. Although there are no studies to prove that chemicals, gels and dyes used in diaper cause harm to baby, but for some parents this could be a cause of concern of having all those materials next your baby.
3. Disposable diapers are not environment friendly as all the diapers are not biodegradable. It causes lot of environmental concern. It produces million tons of waste which cannot decompose.
4. Due to its environmental footprint there is high chance of ground contamination or virus outbreak which could happen.
This is what I did for both of my kids:
I used only and only cloth diapers til kids became 5 months old. I know how messy it is and how difficult to check on. But believe me whenever they do the business they call you, so no need to keep worrying about wetness. It means more sleepless nights as during night you have to wake up 5-6 times. But I never had to use any diaper rashes cream. Their skin became stronger till age 4-5 months so now they were ready for night time (disposable) diapering.
After 5-6 months age, I used diapers on baby only at sleep time and outing time. By age 1 yr to 1 yr and 3 months they start telling you before they want to do it. So its easier for potty and pee training. It totally depends on every baby when they want to start using toilet till that time never force for potty/pee training. Else it may turn in to health issues.