Last Updated on
Post-Pregnancy Belt for C-section and Normal Delivery in India
That big round protruded tummy is one of the most discussed after-pregnancy woes. Most of the women’s postpartum care revolves around ‘baby nursing’ and ‘body cursing’. Body cursing, because she knows, she can’t lose her pregnancy weight in the blink of an eye. Don’t worry, you were 9 months pregnant, just take 9 months to return to a better than before pre-pregnancy figure. For this, and to start with the course of getting pre-pregnancy body back you need a body-shaping post-pregnancy belt. In India, it is also known as ‘after-delivery tummy belt’. Here’s you will know how to use, care and wear some of these best maternity belts in India.
I had C-section 2 times. Both times, I started wearing maternity belt next day of the baby birth, as my doctor himself told me to do so. It helps to keep the loose tummy together. You will feel the difference in comfort with and without belt.
My Main Purpose behind Using Maternity Belt Starting from Next Day of Delivery
1. The abdomen section after delivery is so loose that you cannot get up from bed easily. You have to turn on one side and slowly get up. Even when you turn you feel like your tummy is swinging out of body. So to keep the stomach with the body you need such girdles.
2. While breastfeeding lying down, the stomach literally spreads on the bed, it sounds awful but it is true, my skin on abs was stretched a lot, which is case with most of women. So to feel comfortable while breastfeeding, you need that gadget on.
3. I am an Indian and Mom of 2. I have lost my 15Kgs extra pregnancy weight successfully 2 times in my life. I did it in systematic and natural way. The Maternity Girdle is very first step of the “Mission: Getting Back Pre-pregnancy Body!”
To help you with your selection of effective and comfortable Maternity Girdles, I have done some research and use of my own experience. Here we will see top quality post-pregnancy belts specially selected for Indian New Mothers.
If you are a first time mother, we know what you are thinking; there is section of FAQ later in this post.
Best Maternity Belts in India for New Moms
Following are the suitable tummy tucker belts for Indian mothers, as per the three stages. ‘Suitable’ because you shouldn’t be putting on a tight corset. Hence we have chosen the ones that would go easy on your tummy.
Before buying the belt, please care to consult your doctor. Inquire with medical advisor if you can start wearing the belt or not.
Stage 1: Midsection Belts
• When Does Stage 1 Start?
You can start using postpartum belts a day or two after delivery. Some women even start using it two-three hours after childbirth. If you want, you could do that same, but next day belt wearing is what we recommend. In case of Cesarean Delivery you must ask your doctor once about this.
• How Long Should I use Stage 1 girdle?
Whether you have gone through Normal Delivery or C-Section Delivery, you can continue wearing the belt of Stage 1 for up to 2-3 months (10-14 weeks).
• Which Abdomen Belt Should I Use Right after Delivery?
Eubuy Breathable 3 in 1 Postpartum Girdle
It is available in various sizes, from M to XL.
SECRET TIP: Since after childbirth your skin is loose and soft, hence it will be easy for you to wrap around the belt. Or else, once the skin becomes rigid after 2-3 weeks of delivery, you would not be able to make optimum utilization of the belt.
• Method of Use
Here’s how you can use ‘Set of 3 Women Breathable Elastic Postpartum Recovery Girdle Belt’.
• You should not rush to use all three belts from the beginning of time.
• These 3 belts are Stomach Belt, Vaginal Belt, and Pelvis Belt.
1. Stomach Belt will help in normal positioning of internal organs in abdomen region. Also, it will flatten your belly.
2. Vaginal Belt will contract vaginal muscles and will free you from back pain too.
3. Pelvic Belt is to improvise the location of bones and muscles of pelvic region.
There is no much difference between the way you use it for Normal Delivery and C-Section. Difference is only when you start using it.
How to Use These 3 Belts:
Stomach Belt: First 7 days of delivery (Only Stomach Belt)
Waist Belt: This wide belt is to be used with Stomach belt from 2nd week to 6 weeks of delivery
Pelvic Belt: This belt helps support the pelvic area from birth. This is to be worn along with other 2 belts starting at 6th week (For Normal delivery / C-section) continue it till end of first stage i.e. 2 to 3 months.
Total Duration: 2-3 months (The manufacturers recommend to use the belts for 4 months but as the Velcro may not remain effective also the belts get stretched a bit and hence we shift to second stage at end of 2-3 months.
• Reasons to Use THIS Belt Set
1. Till the time you recover, your back needs a proper support which this belt can give you. Back pain after delivery is thought to be normal. But it can be avoided with the help of maternity belts.
2. It is a three strap belt, with which easy body movements is possible. Like bending, sitting, sleeping, getting up from bed, etc. This is possible due to the thin fabric flexible used it. The Mesh of the belt makes you feel comfortable for hours of constant use.
3. Velcro Fasteners make the adjustment of straps quite convenient.
4. No matter how wide you are all the three long belts will be able to cover your midsection, as it’s stretchable.
5. The belt is made of breathable fabric mesh. They are not exactly cotton, but they are breathable.
TIP: Since Postpartum belts are not made of 100 percent cotton. Hence to avoid the belt getting rubbed against your skin, you should wear a cotton camisole. This rule applies to after-pregnancy wears of all types.
Stage 2: Belly Binder
• When Stage 2 starts?
After 4 months of delivery. If you use the set of 3 belts in Stage 1 daily for 3 months, I personally feel you can jump to this stage after 3 months.
• For how long should I wear Stage 2 belt?
For up to 5 months. Some keep on using the same maternity belt for a long time a year may be. If you want, you could continue using the long belt from Stage 1 for Stage 2 as well. Make sure that it covers your tummy properly. But most probably women need a thick strap belt. That will cover your entire midsection all at once. One that would keep your skin and organ bonded evenly.
Which Tummy Binder is Best for New Moms?
Breathable Elastic Postpartum Belly Binder
• What If I Start Late?
Now there are also women, who are either advised to delay their use of postpartum belts. Many come to know about it, months after delivery. For them, I would say that you can follow our Stage 1, 2 and 3 regimes. Know that, it’s never too late to start.
• Method of Usage
Since it has got elastics, it’s stretchable. But, you should buy a belt that is made for your waist size. Stage 2’s belt is more like a ‘belly band’, this means the Belt’s concentration will be on your tummy region. In order to wear it place one end of the belt (i.e. the broad end) on your stomach’s midst, wrap it around yourself. Then stick the other end, on the belt’s Velcro part.
• Reason to Use THIS Belt:
1. Since you’ll be getting just one postpartum belt with Velcro, it will be easy for you to wear it. Also, the belt would have better grip on your body.
2. Along with your tummy, your persistent back and/or bladder pain will get reduced.
3. It won’t feel or look ‘unnatural’ on your body, that’s because it’s made of thin skin-friendly fabric.
4. Your body shaper would even be more defined and refined with the belt.
5. Soon as time passes by, tummy fat gets more obstinate after pregnancy. Stage 1 belt was for soft skin and Stage 2 belt is for your rigid skin.
6. Not only it flattens stomach, but it gently lifts it too. This is why it’s popular as a belly binder.
TIP: Once in a while you should clean your after-pregnancy wears as per given instructions by the maker. If on the User Manual there’s no cleaning procedure given, just know that they can be washed with cold water.
FAQ: New moms Queries Regarding Maternity Girdles
Q. Does Wearing an After-pregnancy Tummy belt Really Helps?
A. Yes, it does. That’s because a woman’s body after pregnancy becomes flexible. Your tummy region especially becomes like sagging soft dough. Since new mom’s body is ready to get back if you act earlier than thinking over it and start later. Taking advantage of this time and elasticity in your body, you can use pregnancy tummy tucker belts. They would shape your body parts (mainly abdomen, abs, and hips) by keeping them intact, compressed and sweat.
You must have heard that sweating is good for health, and perspiration especially after exercising is a sign that you have worked out hard. But a new mother cannot and should not perform rigorous exercises. This is why your first step is postnatal belts. As they are designed to increase the temperature of your body’s core, without making you uncomfortably hot.
Q. Won’t it be Too Tight for My Tummy, Will it Not Hurt?
A. Pregnancy Tummy Tucker wears are more like elastic bandages. They are simply made up of different types of soft fabrics, elastics and nothing else.
Q. What are The Benefits of Wearing a Postpartum Belt?
A. The primary reason behind wearing maternity girdles is that they help in shaping your body. Some of the other secondary benefits are:
• You must have heard that when the embryo grows, a woman’s internal organs like liver, pancreas, and intestine etc. get dislocated. So for bringing those organs back in their normal position, post maternity belts really help.
• Women’s uterus after giving birth usually swells, postnatal belts help in contracting it gently.
• After delivery abs support can be gained through these belts as they will keep its muscles contracted.
• You cannot start postnatal exercises, soon after delivery. Till then, these belts are the best way to keep oneself maintained.
• Due to extra weight near and around the tummy region, your back could suffer. Hence, the belt will help in keeping your posture upright.
• Whether you’ve had a Cesarean delivery or Normal delivery, these after-delivery tummy fat belts will help you wear your pre-pregnancy clothes too!
Q. For How Long Should I Wear Maternity Belt After Pregnancy?
A. Just like you have first, second and third trimester of pregnancy, the same way maternity belts are worn in three stages, after childbirth.
Stage 1: 4 months
Stage 2: 5 months
=====> 9 months
Stage 3: Optional (But highly recommended)
• My Midwife Told me to Wrap Around Cotton Cloth Straps, Traditional Way.
Why should I use the belt then? Wrapping around cotton cloth straps is a traditional method of keeping the organs in position. I also tried it myself, after seeing the difference; here are my notes for you.
The Problems with Traditional Wrap Are:
o As there is no special structure of wrap, you have to simple put same pressure all over the stomach. This causes difficulty in breathing and sitting.
o It takes time to get tied. Also, you may need the help of others to wrap it around.
o Untying it is also a trouble.
o To fasten it, you would try to use big knots. You can’t really rely on them. Plus the knots would make the cloth uncomfortable to use.
o It makes you move like a robot and is not flexible. It is very uncomfortable during baby care time, especially during feeding and nappy changing.
Now improvised versions of such belts have replaced these conventional cotton straps.
Stage 3: Shapewear
• When Does Stage 3 Start?
After wearing Stag 2’s belt for around 5 months, Stage 3 commences.
• For How Long Does it Last?
Well, you can use Shape-wears for a really long time. There’s no restriction to it. Continue wearing it, until you regain your former shape.
• Which Shapewear Should I Wear After Having Baby?
We have found out two types of shapewear, for you. You can choose any of the two seeing your stomach’s look. Figure out how.
Shapewear 1: Naomi & Nicole High Waist Brief after Birth
Reasons to Use THIS:
1. If the sides of your tummy are flabby, if they are sticking out, then you should choose Naomi & Nicole. It will help you gain a fine-looking petite and hourglass body shape.
2. Unlike other tummy shapers, it won’t alienate your tummy, like regular briefs. Instead, it will keep it pressed from the middle.
3. This is shaper made of spandex. Hence, with a perfect fit shaper like this, you won’t have any issues with its fabric.
4. Many think the body shaping suits, are like skin-fitting, rubbery scuba diving suits. But, that’s not the case with Naomi & Nicole High Waist Briefs.
5. Also, the time you would take it off, it won’t leave any marks or lines on your waist and thighs.
Shapewear 2: Piftif Tummy Slimmer for New Mothers
Reasons to Buy THIS:
1. It is for those who have fat more on their lower abs region, just like a Sumo fighter’s hanging tummy ( I was one once) . The one, that’s hanging lazily like a bull dog’s chin (Yes, Again like I had) Piftif Tummy Slimmer covers such loose tummy perfectly.
2. You can even wear this when you would start your postnatal exercises.
3. It is made up of soft-touching fabric, which is definitely not silk. Thank God. You will soon find out below why we are against silk shape-wears.
4. Yes, it’s stretchable but it won’t be tight on you. Provided you choose the correct size shaper.
5. It’s of skin color, this means whenever you would wear anything white. Like white color palazzos, leggings, trousers, or skirt etc. you won’t have to worry about the visibility of your shape-wear.
6. As shapers are supposed to compress the body, a low-grade shaper might feel body-sticky to you. Same is not the case with Piftif Tummy Slimmer.
MERSUII Pregnancy Belly Waist slimming shaper
1. The panty style shapewear with adjustable hook lines. The metal hooks give very good support. This is good choice for wearing under saree.
2. Three possible adjustments to let you decide tightness.
3. This type of shapewear combines the benefits of belt type plus panty shapewear.
FAQs About Shapewears
• Why Not to Use Belt-Style Shapewear?
Firstly, belt-style shapers are very tight on ribs. Due to which you will face difficulty in breathing, and they may also result in chest pain when used for long hours.
Secondly, since it’s a belt-type shaper, the time you would fasten it, a pent like enclosure will be created upon your midsection body. Consequently, the fat of that region would simply move up and down, instead of getting ‘pressed’.
• Why Not to Use High-waist Panty Type Silky Shapewear?
Well, they are just good to look at. That’s it. They are not really good with results. Even such shape wears are tight on ribs. They would look inflated instead of being pressed. The devious soft silk fabric will make your tummy look round! Evidently, you would look like 3-4 months old pregnant woman.
TIP: Do you know you can roam around with maternity belts throughout the day? You can even sleep with it at nighttime but don’t. Let your skin breathe naturally for a while. During the first stage you may want to keep them on at night but keep them loose than that of day time.
All these are not the ultimate means for getting into pre-pregnancy shape, as exercising and healthy eating are also needed for it. But they are first step towards the reliable and effective flattening stomach after pregnancy. During post-pregnancy weeks, your skin and organs are like in a molten state. Your belly (now a tummy), your waist (now a tire) they need to be molded by after-delivery bandages, binders, and shapewears. Please let me know if you liked my review on Post-pregnancy maternity Girdle Course. Also if you have any tips for other moms, don’t forget to share them.