Last Updated on
Bottle gourd benefits for new mothers
There are many nutritious vegetables which are available all over India and are in regular use, but have you ever thought why our ancestor selected these vegetables?
One of such vegetable is Bottle gourd, called as Louki or Doodhi or Ghia in India. Here you will learn why you should not skip bottle gourds from your diet during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Bottle gourd is one of the best vegetables for a mother. It’s numerous benefits makes it must to have in regular diet from pregnancy to weight loss after you stop breastfeeding.
It will keep you hydrated in pregnancy, help in better milk production in breastfeeding, and excellent for weight loss after exclusive breastfeeding. Not only healthy for mothers but Dudhi is good for babies too.
Fully loaded with water and minerals Louki is healthy for anyone in your family.
So start using this vegetable in your diet on regular basis. Discover delicious recipes given at end.
Why Louki/Bottle gourd is so good for you?
1. Nutritional value of Louki : Rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Vitamin A, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, folate, iron and potassium.
2. Hydrates body and fights morning sickness during pregnancy: Due to high water contents (about 95 %) it hydrates body and keeps it cool. It helps reducing morning sickness. Provides you iron, vitamin C which you need in high amount during pregnancy.
3. Due to numerous qualities like high water content, loaded with nutrients, dietary fibers, low in fats and low in cholesterol make bottle gourd best for weight loss.
To reduce weight after exclusive breastfeeding: drink 1 cup of pure juice of fresh Louki and one Amla every morning, It will show you amazing results.
This same juice is very good for
Healthy heart: Controls blood pressure.
Urinary tract health: Used in treatment of urinary tract infection
Beautiful Skin: prevents pimples and balances the secretion of oil
Hair health: prevents graying hair.
Note: Uncooked Louki is hard to digest so it is better you start this remedy after you finish first 6 months exclusive breastfeeding. During pregnancy and exclusive breastfeeding eat cooked Louki.
4. Other benefits: Inflammations in kidneys and liver can be reduced.
Very good for digestive system, reduces constipation.
Some selected recipes of Louki/Bottle Gourd
NOTE: Doodhi/Louki must be washed and peeled before you use it anywhere. Sometimes Louki has heard/big seeds then in such case, cut it vertically in 2 pieces and take out the seeds with a big spoon. While using for baby food, make sure you remove the seeds
1. Simple fry Subji:
Ingredients: Cubes of fresh Louki, Mustard seeds and Cumin, Salt, Chili powder, turmeric and 1 spoon of Chickpeas Dal/Moong Dal soaked in water for 30 mins.
1. In a pan take 1 tablespoon of oil, add mustard seeds and cumin, put it on high flame till mustard seeds are cracked.
2. Add cubes of doodhi and soaked dal in Rai-Jeera tadka (Mustard seeds and Cumin). Add rest of the ingredients. You may add some cut tomatoes if you like.
On medium flame and covered cook it till dal and Louki are cooked
3. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Chapati
2. Louki Halawa: Recipe by Great Cook Tarla Dalal
3. Louki Kofta Curry by Celebrity chef Sanjeev Kapoor
4. Using Louki in Baby food: All above recipes(without using chili and spices) can be used for babies. Also you can make use of Louki in parath, vegetable daliya and vegetable soup for your baby.