Which is The Best Breast Pump in India?
Wondering whether you should use a breast pump to feed your baby or not?
Or Do You want to resume working and still wish to breastfeed?
Looking for the Comfortable and Efficient Breast Pump?
You may need to use breast pump at one point, when there is no natural way possible to feed a baby. Especially, when in this era most of the mothers are working.
Mother’s milk is best for the baby and essential too. There is nothing like natural method of feeding the baby and nothing can be a substitute of the breast feeding.
There are two types of breast pumps available in India – manual and electrical. Both have some pros and cons.
Among so many brands, we have selected two brands which are really good, on the basis of features, ease of use, functionality and reviews of real mommies who have used these products.
Why Philips Avent Manual Breast Pumps is Best Manual Breast Pump in India?
There are many brands available for manual breast pumps in India. Let us see what Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump offers as features:
● The most important feature of this breast pump is its unique design. For most of the breast pumps, mother has to lean in the front to pump out the milk properly. But with Philip Avent Manual Breast Pump, mother can sit straight and comfortably and still pump out the milk because of the angled neck of the pump.
● There is a scientifically designed velvet like massage cushion on the suction pump and five petal like shapes. It works just like your baby’s sucking pattern. The leaf like petals increases flow of milk by increasing evenly spread pressure on the breast. The massage cushion is to fit comfortably for most women. But, if needed, other sizes are also available.
● The Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump is very lightweight and made up of very high quality material. It is very easy to carry anywhere. As this product is very compatible with other Philips Avent products like feeding bottles, you can always pump out breast milk and store it for future use.
● The feature which is quite different from other is, Philips Avent Manual breast Pump can be used is different ways such as to express, store and feed breast milk to your baby.
● There are six visually matching parts which are very easy to assemble the breast pump in hurry. This is the reason it is very easy to clean.
● You can easily put this bottle into dishwasher or sterilizer as all the parts are dishwasher safe.
● Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump is BPA free. BPA stands for bisphenol A which is used in mostly polycarbonate products like baby bottles, breast pumps etc. According to a research which happened in USA, it was stated that long-term exposure to BPA may result in physical and mental developmental issues and health risks.
What Do Experienced Mothers Say About It?
According to mothers who used this product found that the Philips Avent Manual Pump very easy to assemble & use. It has a silicone pad which is very comfortable. It has got VIA (5 containers with lid) which can also be assembled in the pump directly so no need to change the containers after expressing the milk.
Brand Value and Trust:
Philips is a very popular and trusted brand for many years. Among many products, Philips Avent also has proven to be the best in this criteria.
What Else You Are Getting With The Product?
– Standard Size cushion
– Breast pump body with handle
– Milk storage cups
– Milk Storage cup Adaptor
– Extra Soft Newborn Flow nipple
– Travel cover
– Breast Pad Samples
– BPA Free Breast Pump
You can use this along with the Philips Avent baby feeding bottles, which is one of the best for baby.
Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump: Why it is The Most Popular Electric Breast Pump in India?
Among electronic breast pumps, Medela has been proven to be the best. Let us take a look on the benefits it provides:
● Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump is very portable and lightweight. Also, it is handheld, so you can use it using one hand too.
● This electric breast pump is unique because it can be operated using batteries as well as power adapter. The battery is durable and can work up to 3 hours once it is charged. It is quite convenient for short outing or travelling to carry with.
● Easy to carry anywhere as the design is compact.
● The amazing feature of Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump is, there is an option for direct feeding your baby.
● This product is fully automatic and designed in a way to protect overflow.
● You can adjust the speed according to your need and milk flow.
● Easy to assemble
What Do You Get With This Product?
– Valve Head
– Valve Membrane
– Breast shield
– Bottle Stand
– Motor Unit with Battery compartment
It needs two wall clock batteries which are not included with the package.
Positive Feedbacks from Mothers:
Breastfeeding and working mothers who have used Medela Mini Electric Breast Pump, found the electric pump best for use daily as it saves time and energy as it takes also less time to fill up bottle.
What Type of Pump is Better? Manual Pump or Electric Pumps?
● Manual pumps are used when you need to pump out your breast milk occasionally or once a day may be. But if you are a working mother and you need to pump out your breast milk regularly to feed your baby, you should opt for an electric pump.
● Manual pumps are cheaper in price compared to the electrical one. So, if you are trying out breast pumping for the first time, you should buy a manual one first.
● Manual Pumps take more time to pump up milk from one breast and on the other hand electric pumps take lesser time. With double collection electric pumps you can empty two breasts at a same time and in a balanced out manner.
● You have to use both of your hands to operate manual pumps, but most of the electric pumps can be operated by one hand only.
● If you do not have good flow of milk, it may be troublesome to use manual pumps in comparison to electrical ones.
● Manual pumps come with a cushion attached to it which feels very comfortable to a mother’s breast. But electric pumps do not have such feature generally.
Is Breast Pump Better Than Natural Method of Breastfeeding?
NO. You should opt for Expressing using Brest Pump method only if it is necessary. Natural method of feeding baby is no doubt the best. But there are certain cases where natural breast feeding is not possible, like if the baby is premature and not able to suck milk from the breast, the mother wants to go to work, or there is some health issue of the mother or baby where doctor has suggested breast pump etc.
In case of cracked nipples or breast milk lumps etc., natural sucking is actually effective in healing the problem. The milk sucked by baby is also applied on nipple, helps healing in a natural way. It is also great to remove if there is any breast milk lump.
Mother’s milk is too good for new born babies and it helps building strength and immunity in a baby when it grows. So, if the mother wants to go back to work after certain time and still wish to feed baby with breastmilk only, she should use breast pumps. Thus, the baby will not have to depend upon formulas and will continue getting breast milk regularly even if the mother is not around.
When to Use a Breast Pump?
Breast pumps are not used much in India, but for women who want to work after having a baby and still continue to breastfeeding, it is very important to use breastfeeding pump. Babies need to be fed in every 2-3 hours and in order to feed them breast milk. You must express your milk and store it using breast pumps. According to WebMD, if you stop breast feeding gradually at the day time, your body slowly reduces the milk supply. So, if you continue express your milk during day time even if you are not feeding your baby, it works as a full time breastfeeding and keep your milk flow intact.
Some Important Tips for New Mothers
Breast pumps are used to express milk and store it for your baby for longer time. So, here are some tips to handle the expressed milk in a correct way:
● You should store the expressed milk in clean and BPA free bottles for later use.
● Milk should be stored at the back side of the fridge where the temperature is constant. (Source: CDC Government Site)
● Containers should be covered.
● Do not microwave the milk as microwave ovens do not heat the milk evenly. It may harm your baby or destroy the milk.
● Do not boil the milk as excess heat can destroy the nutrients and quality of the milk.
● According to some sources, in India temperature is high, so life of expressed milk may be just 50% than that in Western countries. So, precautions should be taken properly to store milk.
● To feed the baby with breast milk in bottle for the first time, offer the bottle when the baby is not hungry but happy and relaxed. (Source: NCT UK).
● It is recommended to give your expressed milk in a bottle when only the breast feeding is well established, as some babies tend to take bottles naturally and it does not affect the breastfeeding of the baby; but other babies easily put off the bottles.
Breast pump is a great tool to pump out breast milk and store it in a bottle, so that you can feed the baby breast milk even when you are not around. It is only used when there is no way you can breastfeed your baby. Causes might be like, if you are on some medication, or ill or your baby is too weak to suck out the breast milk directly. Also, if you are having excess milk, you can use breast pumps to express milk for future storage.